Josh Dudleston
Hello All, 

This is my first post. I've had the pleasure of having the last few weeks to play with my new Nautilus and explore the world of 3D printing. Given my lack of experience, I'm stumped on how to resolve my issue and I don't want to damage my machine. I loaded up some wood filament and set the extruder temp to 210 and the heat bed to 70 which was within the standard range for this filament (3D Warhorse brand). It started printing very nicely on a rather small print and then suddenly failed about halfway through. I was not in the room when it happened and it was basically going through the print G code without extruding as it was clogged. 

I shut the machine down and ran through the material unload process but it would not unload. It kept clicking. I then tried several more times slowly increasing the extruder temperature thinking maybe it was just not melting. After about 270 and still no unload I decided that the jam must be above the extruder. Without being able to unload the tool to try and clear the nozzle with the filament anchoring everything in place I pulled on the filament to see if I could free it. 

It broke off somewhere in the line. When I went to do a tool change and pulled the tool out, there was still unmelted filament hanging where the extruder had been and going up into the machine top where I can't see the tube. I tried to extrude on the machine settings but it wouldn't let me. I tried the material unload and load, hoping to engage the gear that moves the filament now that the extruder was not there to hold it up. Nothing. 

I pulled on the filament and I'm guessing it broke again somewhere up in the machine but I was not sure. 

After clearing the extruder while it was still hot and making sure the nozzle was free from clogs I reinstalled the tool and did material load with some PLA. The machine was clicking again, and there was no discharge of filament from the nozzle nor any movement on the PLA. 

Shut the machine down and here I sit at my keyboard. Lol. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

Quote 0 0
Josh Dudleston
Well, I reread through the manual and there it was. Complete instructions on how to solve my issue. I got the jam out and know my printer a little bit better. Thanks for writing such a comprehensive manual. It was very helpful. 
Quote 1 0
John Kray
I'm glad you were able to figure it out and the user manual was helpful!

We have not tested that brand of wood filament, but have had good results with ColorFabb Woodfil and Fillamentum Timberfil. If you were using the generic PLA profile for your wood filament, you might have better luck with the Fillamentum Timberfil profile in Cura.
John
Founder/CEO of Hydra Research LLC, developers of the Nautilus 3D printer and providers of 3D printing services.
https://www.hydraresearch3d.com/
Quote 1 0
Josh Dudleston
Hi John, 

Thanks for the reply. I was very happy to be able to take care of the jamming. I haven't had any luck with the Fillamentum PLA. I ordered a few and they came in. After clearing the Wood filament jam, I ran some cleaning filament and loaded the Fillamentum and used the stored settings. It won't really adhere to the build plate and keep lifting itself up and globbing on the extruder. I tried several prints and tried baby stepping it both directions. After several failed attempts to print with it I switched back over to this PLA by Hatchbox which is what I have been using and it printed flawlessly as it had been before. I don't know if I got a bad roll or if I'm doing something wrong with the Fillamentum. After trying the preloaded settings for it, I also tried to increase the temperature of the heat bed to 60 and the fillamentum still wouldn't adhere. Any suggestions? I'll definitely check out the Timberfil and the Woodfil. 
Quote 0 0
John Kray
Fillamentum PLA should stick just as other PLAs do. It is not really possible to get a bad roll of PLA in the sense that it would not stick the print surface.

Are you wiping down the print surface with isopropyl alchohol before every print? The oil from your fingers can cause a lot of bed adhesion problems.
John
Founder/CEO of Hydra Research LLC, developers of the Nautilus 3D printer and providers of 3D printing services.
Quote 1 0
Josh Dudleston
I have not been able to successfully print with Fillamentum Extrafil on the preloaded settings. It keeps lifting off of the build plate and there is space between each line it lays down. It's not adhering to itself or the bed. When I stop the print and take the failed print off the build plate all of the lines are independent and not adhered. The temp is set to 210 and buildplate heater set to 55. 

I've had great success with a PLA called Hatchbox. It prints flawlessly on the generic PLA settings. Any idea what I can do to get the Fillamentum to print correctly? Just wondering my issue could be since the Hatchbox PLA print great and the Fillamentum ASA that I bought from you prints great as well. 
Quote 0 0
John Kray
Make sure you didn't accidentally select the B250 Tool Cartridge in Cura when slicing for Fillamenum PLA. If you are sure you sliced with the X400 selected, try using baby stepping to decrease the gap between the nozzle the print surface until the lines are sufficiently squished.
John
Quote 0 0
Josh Dudleston
Yes I am wiping it down. I've played with the temperatures in the given ranges and have not been able to get it to adhere properly. I've tried different temperature combinations within the spec range for the fillamentum pla but still having it curl up off the bed. Tried some other PLA that was not Hatchbox and had the same results. I guess I'll stick to Hatchbox for now until I can figure this out. I'm stopping by tomorrow to purchase a tool head.

I'm having a problem though with the Z probe. It is not activating on startup correctly. It just flashes and does not protrude and stay red like it used to. I've tried several restarts. Closing Cura and Duet. Tried unloading and reloading material, tried printing and then restarting. It just won't come on. It used to do that like once every 4 or 5 prints cycles but started to do it about every other print a few days ago. As of today it is every time. It would start the bed calibration process but then skip over the center point and go straight to the debris box and start printing without a calibration. On Duet it would give me 2 messages. Z probe initiated before bed calibration" and "Z probe already started" something to that effect. It then says bed calibration completed, of course it had not actually calibrated. 

On my Duet browser display it shows the Z probe highlighted in red with a value of 1000. I've even tried turning the machine off for 15 minutes or more in case there is a hard reset cycle. Still starts up with a flashing z probe. After 20 or more restarts I have not successfully been able to get the z probe to perform it's function. 

Is this something you have encountered and if so, what is the solution? I looked online but most of the information I found was for how to install or program the printer for the z probe with gcode. 
Quote 0 0
John Kray
There is either a short in the wires connecting the probe, the probe pin got bent and is not able to deploy properly, or an issue with the probe itself.

Whatever it is, we will get it sorted out when you stop by tomorrow, and we will take a look at what is going on with you first layer with Fillamentum PLA. It may be related to the probe issues.
John
Quote 0 0
Josh Dudleston
That would be great. Could I stop by sometime around 11am? 
Quote 0 0
tinkerz
John, is the Reset BLTouch code I provided loaded on Josh's machine? That will clear the BLTouch from flashing and re-enable it. That won't resolve the first layer issues but will get him back to being able to troubleshoot that by making the BLTouch function again. 
Quote 0 0
tinkerz

BLTouch Reset Gcode:

M280 P3 S160 I1
G4 S2
M98 P/sys/deployprobe.g
G4 S2
M98 P/sys/retractprobe.g

Create a new Macro with those commands in it (probably easiest to copy and paste)
2019-09-25_15-45-46.jpg 

Quote 1 0
John Kray
Yes, the bltouch reset code is on part of the current firmware/config that is on all production machines. It is run on startup and at the beginning of every print, so if the bltouch is still entering alarm mode consistently, that indicates another problem.

@Josh Dudleston Stop by anytime between 9a-6p. You can email support@hydraresearch3d.com if you have any other questions about scheduling your visit.
John
Quote 0 0