Herb
3D printing movable parts can be a challenge. For this test, I chose a Planetary Gear Bearing from Thingiverse. Except for Tolerance (which was my test variable), I used the following OpenSCAD settings:
  • Outer Diameter of Ring: 63.5 (2.5 inches).
  • Thickness: 12.7 (0.5 inches).
  • Number of Planets: 7.
  • Number of Teeth on Planets: 7.
  • Number of Teeth on Sun: 14.
  • Width of Hexagonal Hole: 6.35 (0.25 inches).
  • All other values (except Tolerance): default.
I used PLA for all prints. I used the recommended Cura settings with Faster print times (0.2 Layer Height on Ultimaker 3 Extended and 0.3 Layer Height on Nautilus). I used 30% Infill on both printers. Support and Build Plate Adhesion were both turned off.

On the Nautilus, a Tolerance of 0.15 gave the best results. It took some effort to free up the gears, but once I did, the gears fit snugly and move nicely. A Tolerance of 0.20 resulted in a print that was easier to free up. The gears do not fit quite as snugly, but move nicely. With a Tolerance of 0.25, the gears moved freely right off the printer, but they are rather loose. This is really about the minimum acceptable quality.

Even with a significantly greater Tolerance of 0.30, the gears from the Ultimaker are still tightly bound up. I didn't test Tolerances of 0.35 and 0.40 on the Ultimaker. At a Tolerance of 0.45, the gears move freely right off the printer.

Clearly, for this test, the precision of the Nautilus far surpasses that of the Ultimaker.
Quote 0 0
John Kray
Wow, great idea for a test! Glad to hear we can compete with the ultimaker. Thanks for the feedback.
John
Found of Hydra Research LLC, developers of the Nautilus 3D printer and providers of 3D printing services.
https://www.hydraresearch3d.com/
Quote 0 0