John Kray
First, of, thank you Keith and Max for your work of our beta program. your feedback has been very helpful!

We have come to the conclusion that we do not have the resources at the moment to properly implement the multi-material system at this time. Max has had it for about a week, and we are finding that there are a couple key things we need to sort out in order for it to work reliably on multiple machines with slight manufacturing variances. Additionally, we are not confident we can test it to the extent necessary to ensure high reliability at this time.  We absolutely do not want to launch something that we are not extremely confident in.

We have decided to put multi-material on the back burner for a little while, and focus on really reliable printing of engineering grade materials like ABS, PCABS, PC, PP, Nylon, and carbon fiber fills. We will be swapping all betas to a single material system and adding a few other modifications. 

New modifications
  • New smaller purge bucket with a redesigned wiper that should not damage the nozzle
  • All tool cartridges will be switched to e3d's new Nozzle X (nickel plated tool steel) 
  • A new filament feeding system
  • Filament runout sensor support 
  • New bed living procedure that should eliminate the chance of the tool head crashing into the bed if the z-axis is not properly homed
  • Z-axis will be wired in parallel as the drives on Duet to don't work well with low current motors in series. This also allows for faster z movements.
  • New Z gantry insulator spacers to potentially increase the maximum allowed temperature of the build plate.

Future Road Map
  • PEI print surface testing
  • Potential switch to carbon fiber nylon z gantry to increase z gantry rigidity and temperature resistance. 
  • Continued development of Nautilus Cura (a custom version of Cura specifically designed for the Nautilus that will be maintained by Hydra Research).
  • Testing of 0.25mm 0.8mm tool cartridges.
  • Continued testing of our multi-material system

Please feel free to share your thoughts.
John
Found of Hydra Research LLC, developers of the Nautilus 3D printer and providers of 3D printing services.
https://www.hydraresearch3d.com/
Quote 0 0
tinkerz
Sounds great to me. An engineering materials focused machine is cool too. Adding MMU later is fine. I've been enjoying the prints and reliability of the printer so far. Yes it has had its quirks (namely homing) but the robustness of the machine so far has been welcome. Don't take my ability to print ABS so easily away please!!
Quote 0 0
BradyHoover_Designs
sounds good. it's a definite change in direction and i'm a bit sad i won't get a multimaterial machine in house but i think high temp engineering materials are a welcome addition to my printing environment. would you want the scaffold filament back and the PVA because i don't think we need them any longer for the beta testing.

also really excited about the other tool cartridges and the higher temperature bed printing.
Quote 0 0
John Kray
Yes, we are also disappointed to delay multi-material, but in order to ensure a highly reliable experience, we need to give it some more time. We believe that while multi-material is a highly hyped feature user will much more frequently benefit from reliable printing of materials that require an enclosure and higher temps. Also the ability to print high resolution with smaller nozzle sizes we believe will be very powerful as well. 

We will continue to work on multi-material, and when we are more confident in its reliability/repeatability across multiple machines and after the launch of the Nautilus single material, we plan to send units out to our beta testers. Until then we have more than enough to keep us busy testing hard to print materials with single material. 

I'm personally pretty excited to see if e3d nozzle X lives up to the hype.
John
Found of Hydra Research LLC, developers of the Nautilus 3D printer and providers of 3D printing services.
https://www.hydraresearch3d.com/
Quote 0 0
BradyHoover_Designs
John Kray wrote:
Yes, we are also disappointed to delay multi-material, but in order to ensure a highly reliable experience, we need to give it some more time. We believe that while multi-material is a highly hyped feature user will much more frequently benefit from reliable printing of materials that require an enclosure and higher temps. Also the ability to print high resolution with smaller nozzle sizes we believe will be very powerful as well. 

We will continue to work on multi-material, and when we are more confident in its reliability/repeatability across multiple machines and after the launch of the Nautilus single material, we plan to send units out to our beta testers. Until then we have more than enough to keep us busy testing hard to print materials with single material. 

I'm personally pretty excited to see if e3d nozzle X lives up to the hype.

probably both Keith and I are very excited about the nozzle X i have plenty of carbon fiber pla to run and plan to get some PA-CF to also try high temp versions.
Quote 0 0